Bandits struck again on Benue State’s Naka–Makurdi highway on Tuesday, abducting six travellers and demanding N100 million for their release.
The attack occurred near Kula Village, a community just outside the state capital, Makurdi, highlighting the persistent security risks on the route.
A relative of the victims told ENigeria Newspaper that the travellers had left Ilorin on Monday and spent the night in Ankpa, Kogi State, before continuing their journey early Tuesday.
“About 20 minutes from Makurdi, their vehicle was intercepted. One passenger managed to escape, but six others — three men and three women — were taken,” the source said.
The Chairman of Gwer West Local Government, Omnin Torsar, confirmed the incident, noting it happened around 5 a.m. while the travellers were in a convoy. He said authorities were still gathering precise details about the number of victims and the circumstances of the abduction.
The Police Public Relations Officer for Benue State, DSP Udeme Edet, stated that the command had not yet received an official report on the attack.
Kidnappings have surged across Benue in recent weeks. Last week alone, nine worshippers were abducted at St John’s Catholic Church in Ojije, Utonkon LGA, while 14 travellers were taken in Okpokwu LGA.
Although the Naka–Makurdi road had seen a brief period of calm after increased security deployments last year, Tuesday’s incident underscores the fragile nature of safety along the highway.
Authorities are expected to coordinate search efforts and negotiate the release of the victims, while residents continue to urge stronger measures to combat banditry and protect commuters along key highways in the state.








