What was expected to be a quiet release from custody turned into another long night for former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, as he was moved from one anti-graft agency to another within hours.
After two days of interrogation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over alleged financial infractions, El-Rufai was granted bail on Wednesday evening.
But instead of heading home, the former governor was escorted to the headquarters of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) for a separate line of questioning.
Sources familiar with the development told ENigeria Newspaper that the ICPC had previously invited El-Rufai in connection with ongoing investigations tied to his time in office. However, his detention by the EFCC earlier in the week meant he was unable to honour that invitation.
Once the EFCC concluded its session and processed his bail, arrangements were reportedly made for him to appear before the ICPC the same night, effectively transferring him from one custody to another.
Officials declined formal comment on the specifics of the transition, but security insiders maintained that the move was procedural and linked to parallel investigations rather than a fresh arrest.
DSS denies arrest
Amid speculation that the Department of State Services (DSS) had again taken custody of the former governor, sources within the security agency dismissed the claims, insisting El-Rufai was not detained by them.
The clarification followed widespread reports suggesting operatives were on standby at the EFCC premises. Multiple sources, however, confirmed that his movement was strictly between the EFCC and the ICPC.
Expanding investigations
The EFCC probe reportedly centres on allegations of large-scale financial mismanagement, including claims involving hundreds of billions of naira in loans and contract awards during his tenure as governor.
At the same time, the ICPC is understood to be examining issues relating to due process compliance and procurement procedures under his administration.
A senior official familiar with the matter disclosed that prosecutors are working toward possible arraignment once investigations are concluded.
Travel restriction raises stakes
The pressure on the former governor intensified last week at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, where security operatives confiscated his international passport shortly after his arrival from Cairo, Egypt.
Sources indicated the measure was taken to ensure his availability as investigations gathered pace. The former governor had reportedly planned engagements with both anti-corruption agencies before returning abroad, a plan that was disrupted following the seizure of his travel documents.
Lingering political and legal clouds
Beyond financial allegations, security authorities are also said to be reviewing unresolved cases dating back to his tenure, including the 2019 disappearance of government critic Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata. While no formal charge has been announced in connection with that case, investigators are believed to be revisiting past leads.
For now, El-Rufai’s legal journey appears far from over. With separate investigations running concurrently at the EFCC and ICPC, Wednesday night’s custody switch underscores the scale and complexity of the scrutiny facing the former governor.
As of the time that ENigeria reports this, he remains with the ICPC as investigators continue their work.









