Thursday, February 19, 2026
THE SNEAKERS
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • NIGERIAN NEWS
    • Biography/Net Worth
    • Business News
    • Entertainment News
  • INVESTIGATION
  • Real Estate
  • Travel News
  • Videos
ENigeria News
No Result
View All Result

From EFCC to ICPC : How El-Rufai switched custodies in one night

by Ibrahim Disu
February 19, 2026
in Headlines
El-Rufai

Nasir El-Rufai

0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

What was expected to be a quiet release from custody turned into another long night for former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, as he was moved from one anti-graft agency to another within hours.

After two days of interrogation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over alleged financial infractions, El-Rufai was granted bail on Wednesday evening.

But instead of heading home, the former governor was escorted to the headquarters of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) for a separate line of questioning.

Sources familiar with the development told ENigeria Newspaper that the ICPC had previously invited El-Rufai in connection with ongoing investigations tied to his time in office. However, his detention by the EFCC earlier in the week meant he was unable to honour that invitation.

Once the EFCC concluded its session and processed his bail, arrangements were reportedly made for him to appear before the ICPC the same night, effectively transferring him from one custody to another.

Officials declined formal comment on the specifics of the transition, but security insiders maintained that the move was procedural and linked to parallel investigations rather than a fresh arrest.

DSS denies arrest

Amid speculation that the Department of State Services (DSS) had again taken custody of the former governor, sources within the security agency dismissed the claims, insisting El-Rufai was not detained by them.

The clarification followed widespread reports suggesting operatives were on standby at the EFCC premises. Multiple sources, however, confirmed that his movement was strictly between the EFCC and the ICPC.

Expanding investigations

The EFCC probe reportedly centres on allegations of large-scale financial mismanagement, including claims involving hundreds of billions of naira in loans and contract awards during his tenure as governor.

At the same time, the ICPC is understood to be examining issues relating to due process compliance and procurement procedures under his administration.

A senior official familiar with the matter disclosed that prosecutors are working toward possible arraignment once investigations are concluded.

Travel restriction raises stakes

The pressure on the former governor intensified last week at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, where security operatives confiscated his international passport shortly after his arrival from Cairo, Egypt.

Sources indicated the measure was taken to ensure his availability as investigations gathered pace. The former governor had reportedly planned engagements with both anti-corruption agencies before returning abroad, a plan that was disrupted following the seizure of his travel documents.

Lingering political and legal clouds

Beyond financial allegations, security authorities are also said to be reviewing unresolved cases dating back to his tenure, including the 2019 disappearance of government critic Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata. While no formal charge has been announced in connection with that case, investigators are believed to be revisiting past leads.

For now, El-Rufai’s legal journey appears far from over. With separate investigations running concurrently at the EFCC and ICPC, Wednesday night’s custody switch underscores the scale and complexity of the scrutiny facing the former governor.

As of the time that ENigeria reports this, he remains with the ICPC as investigators continue their work.

Related Posts

Tinubu
Headlines

2027 elections : We’ll transmit votes manually – Tinubu declares amid oppositions’ protests

February 19, 2026
Wike
Headlines

2027 : Wike pressures PDP Bwari Area Council aspirant to step down for APC candidate Joshua Ishaku

February 19, 2026
Ramadan-lent
Headlines

Ramadan, Lent begin as Muslims and Christians enter sacred seasons

February 18, 2026
Vinicius
Headlines

Bottles, boos and a racism claim: Vinícius incident overshadows Madrid win

February 18, 2026
election
Headlines

Akpabio: Retaining manual election results ‘saved Nigeria’s democracy’

February 18, 2026
rape
Headlines

Lagos records surge in rape cases as social media outcries heighten calls for action

February 18, 2026
Next Post
Wike

2027 : Wike pressures PDP Bwari Area Council aspirant to step down for APC candidate Joshua Ishaku

ENigeria Newspaper is a  premium daily Nigerian newspaper committed to the objective coverage of news in Nigeria.

We publish news in categories like politics, economy, technology, general breaking news, investigative reports, including Travel and Tourism.

We discover, verify, and communicate reliable news in a fair and objective while also preserving the core ideals of professional journalism.

ENigeria News - Naija News, Nigerian Newspapers

Connect With Us

Categories

Nigerian News
Investigations
Real Estate
Travel News

Recent Posts

  • Tinubu moves to stop NNPC’s 30% oil revenue deductions
  • Man United regret €30m buy option in Rashford’s Barcelona loan
  • Unexplained salary cuts, arrears fuel Federal Civil Service crisis
  • Ramadan and Lent: Uba Sani secures release of 90 Kaduna inmates
  • We have to act now – Gani Adams on planned fresh Kwara attacks
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Diversity Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Service

© 2025 ENIGERIA NEWS

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • NIGERIAN NEWS
    • Biography/Net Worth
    • Business News
    • Entertainment News
  • INVESTIGATION
  • Real Estate
  • Travel News
  • Videos

© 2025 ENIGERIA NEWS