Wednesday, May 13, 2026
ENigeria News - Latest Nigerian News Today – Breaking News, Travel & Real Estate
  • Home
  • NIGERIAN NEWS
    • Biography/Net Worth
    • Business News
    • Entertainment News
  • INVESTIGATION
  • Real Estate
  • Travel News
  • Videos
No Result
View All Result
ENigeria News - Latest Nigerian News Today – Breaking News, Travel & Real Estate
  • Home
  • NIGERIAN NEWS
    • Biography/Net Worth
    • Business News
    • Entertainment News
  • INVESTIGATION
  • Real Estate
  • Travel News
  • Videos
No Result
View All Result
ENigeria News - Latest Nigerian News Today – Breaking News, Travel & Real Estate
No Result
View All Result
Home Headlines

Fraudsters Hack Union Bank’s System, Customers Lose N9.3 billion

Gbenga Kalejaiye by Gbenga Kalejaiye
April 22, 2025
in Headlines, INVESTIGATION
0
Fraudsters Hack Union Bank’s System Customers Lose N9.3 billion

Yetunde-Oni-Union Bank-MD-CEO

585
SHARES
3.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Customers of the Yetunde Oni led Union Bank Plc are groaning after losing a whopping N9.3 billion in a massive system breach.

ENigeria News reports that the development comes exactly one year and three months after the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) sacked the bank’s board and entire management, citing governance failures. A new management team was subsequently appointed to lead the financial institution.

Union Bank is battling to recover the sum of N9,329,322,870.00 (nine billion, three hundred and twenty-nine million, three hundred and twenty-two thousand, eight hundred and seventy naira), withdrawn from customers’ accounts without authorization.

You might also like

Saleh Mamman jail sentence – Everything you need to know

Alexx Ekubo, Allwell Ademola, others- Nollywood actors that have died recently

Frank Edoho Confirms Wife’s Affair With Singer, Chike

In a suit marked FHC/L/CS/629/2025, filed before the Federal High Court in Lagos, seen by THE WITNESS, Union Bank sought a preservative order compelling the financial institutions involved to place Post No Debit restrictions on the accounts of all beneficiaries and to return the stolen funds traced to their institutions.

According to the bank, the fraud followed an operational failure and fraud in its core banking system on March 23, 2025, which led to unauthorized transfers from customers’ accounts.

An affidavit deposed to by Oluwasegun Falola, head of the E-Fraud Investigations Department at Union Bank, stated that the funds were fraudulently and erroneously transferred from the bank to various accounts across 53 financial institutions.

Falola explained that on March 23, 2025, the bank observed that N9.3 billion had been debited from customer accounts and dispersed into various accounts maintained by the respondent banks. He added that Union Bank immediately contacted the banks involved in a bid to halt further dissipation of the funds.

“The Fraud Desk Department of the bank, in the course of its investigations, discovered that the monies were transferred in trickles into several accounts domiciled with the 1st to 54th Respondents,” the affidavit stated.
Union Bank attributed the unauthorized debits to a system glitch and exploitation, which it says enabled the illicit transfers.

“The funds were erroneously and fraudulently transferred from customers’ accounts.
“Upon further investigation, it was found that the funds were subsequently moved from these primary beneficiary accounts to other accounts also held by the respondents.”

The bank disclosed that it had submitted the list of recipient accounts to the respective financial institutions as a preliminary measure to recover any remaining funds.

To support its recovery efforts, the bank said its internal audit and legal departments compiled detailed reports tracing the flow of funds and identifying all beneficiary accounts.

When the case was mentioned on April 2, 2025, Union Bank’s counsel, A. Adedoyin-Adeniyi, informed the court that the stolen funds were still being moved.

“₦9.3 billion has been moved from the account, and they are still moving funds. We now have more people involved in moving the funds,” the lawyer told the court.

In his ruling, Justice Deinde Dipeolu agreed with the submissions and thereafter granted a motion ex parte filed by the bank concerning the unauthorized fund transfers.

“Having reviewed the motion ex parte, the application is hereby granted,” the judge ruled.

The incident has raised broader concerns about the security of Nigeria’s banking infrastructure, especially as interbank transactions continue to increase. Financial analysts suggest that outdated systems and inadequate oversight may be exacerbating vulnerabilities, heightening the risk of fraud and transactional errors.

Union Bank did not respond to THE WITNESS’ inquiries as of press time.

 

Facebook Comments Box
Tags: Union BankUnion Bank fraudUnion Bank MDYetunde OniYetunde Oni Union Bank
Previous Post

Nigerian YouTuber’s 24 Hours Lagos Adventure Under $20

Next Post

EXCLUSIVE: Jude Okoye Released From Prison, As Trial Commences

Gbenga Kalejaiye

Gbenga Kalejaiye

Related Posts

Saleh Mamman jail sentence - Everything you need to know
Headlines

Saleh Mamman jail sentence – Everything you need to know

by Olaniba Daniel
May 13, 2026
Alexx Ekubo, Allwell Daramola, others - Nollywood actors that have passed away in 2026
Entertainment News

Alexx Ekubo, Allwell Ademola, others- Nollywood actors that have died recently

by Olaniba Daniel
May 13, 2026
Frank Edoho Confirms Wife’s Affair With Singer, Chike
Entertainment News

Frank Edoho Confirms Wife’s Affair With Singer, Chike

by Desmond Ike-Chima
May 12, 2026
Access Bank 2025 Financial Statement Reveal Deep Cracks Under Aig-Imoukwuede
Headlines

Access Bank 2025 Financial Statement Reveal Deep Cracks Under Aig-Imoukwuede

by Desmond Ike-Chima
May 12, 2026
How Aig-Imoukhuede is Elminating Wigwe’s Men From Access Bank in New Power Play
Headlines

How Aig-Imoukhuede is Eliminating Wigwe’s Men From Access Bank in New Power Play

by Desmond Ike-Chima
May 12, 2026
Next Post
EXCLUSIVE: Jude Okoye Released From Prison, As Trial Commenses

EXCLUSIVE: Jude Okoye Released From Prison, As Trial Commences

Don't miss it

Saleh Mamman jail sentence - Everything you need to know
Headlines

Saleh Mamman jail sentence – Everything you need to know

May 13, 2026
Spurs vs Timberwolves : Victor Wembayama's Spurs might already be in the Conference finals
Sports

Spurs vs Timberwolves : Victor Wembayama’s Spurs might already be in Conference finals

May 13, 2026
Nigerians react to old tweet of Alexx Ekubo about cancer
Entertainment News

Nigerians react to old tweet of Alexx Ekubo about cancer

May 13, 2026
Consumers excited over launch of Googlebook laptop built with Gemini intelligence
Tech & Innovations

Consumers excited over launch of Googlebook laptop built with Gemini intelligence

May 13, 2026
How did American actor Donald Gibb die at 71?
Foreign News

How American actor Donald Gibb died at 71

May 13, 2026
Adelabu rejects APC Oyo 'imposition', vows to go toe-to-toe with Sheriffdeen Alli
Politics

Adelabu rejects APC Oyo ‘imposition’, vows to go toe-to-toe with Sheriffdeen Alli

May 13, 2026

Popular Post

  • Frank Edoho Confirms Wife’s Affair With Singer, Chike

    Frank Edoho Confirms Wife’s Affair With Singer, Chike

    598 shares
    Share 239 Tweet 150
  • Alexx Ekubo Biography: Cause of Death, Career, Relationships, Rise to Fame, etc…

    594 shares
    Share 238 Tweet 149
  • How Aig-Imoukhuede is Eliminating Wigwe’s Men From Access Bank in New Power Play

    592 shares
    Share 237 Tweet 148
  • Breaking : Nollywood actor Alexx Ekubo passes away

    588 shares
    Share 235 Tweet 147
  • AMVCA 2026 Winners: Emotional Acceptance Speeches, Best-Dressed Celebrities, Hosts, etc…

    588 shares
    Share 235 Tweet 147
ENigeria News - Latest Nigerian News Today – Breaking News, Travel & Real Estate

ENigeria Newspaper is a premium daily Nigerian newspaper committed to the objective coverage of news in Nigeria.

Relevant Pages

  • About Us ENigeria Newspaper
  • Contact Us
  • Diversity Policy
  • ENigeria Newspaper Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service of ENigeria Newspaper

Reach Us

Emails:- enigerianewspaper@gmail.com
Phone:- +234 906 0009 494
Address: 7 Ago palaceway, Okota, lagos

Alert Us

For publication of Press releases, Statements, and Advert Inquiries, send an email to ENIGERIANEWSPAPER@GMAIL.COM

© enigerianews.com

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • NIGERIAN NEWS
    • Biography/Net Worth
    • Business News
    • Entertainment News
  • INVESTIGATION
  • Real Estate
  • Travel News
  • Videos

© enigerianews.com